Hymns:Blessed assurance Jesus is mine
From Hymnopedia.com - a semi-definitive Wiki of Christian hymns, MIDI files, composers and authors.
|Blessed assurance Jesus is mine|
|Title||Blessed assurance, Jesus is mine|
|Author||Fanny J. Crosby|
|Composer||Phoebe P. Knapp|
|Orig. Key||D Major|
|Meter||9 10.9 9 with Refrain|
|1st Line||Blessed assurance, Jesus is mine|
|Problems listening to this file? See media help.|
Blessed assurance, Jesus is mine
This text and 'To God Be the Glory" (473) are probably the best known texts by Fanny J. Crosby . She said the following about her writing of the text:
Sometimes a tune is furnished me for which to write the words. The hymn titled "Blessed Assurance" was made in this manner. My dear friend Phoebe Palmer Knapp (Mrs. Joseph), so well-known as a writer and singer of most excellent music and as an aid and inspiration to all who knew her, had composed the tune; and it seemed to me one of the sweetest I had heard for a long time. She asked me what it said. I replied, "Blessed assurance." I felt while bringing the words and tones together that the air and the hymn were intended for each other -from Fanny Crosby's Memories
Crosby's text and Knapp's tune were published in John R. Sweney's Gems of Praise in 1873. The hymn was also published in both the American and British editions of the Ira D. Sankey hymnals and was more recently featured in Billy Graham Crusades. It is an immensely popular hymn in English-speaking Christendom. The Psalter Hymnal includes the original stanzas 1 and 3, but stanza 2 by Marie J. Post is substituted for Crosby's "rapture" stanza.
Blessed Assurance" is a typical gospel hymn of the late nineteenth century. It is simple, truly evangelical in spirit, and has an emotional appeal that comes from its rousing tune and from the personal experience described in the text. It is a fine testimonial hymn of praise to Christ for his work of redemption (st. 1), for the Spirit's work of sanctification (st. 2), and for the joy of serving Jesus (st. 3).
Many occasions in worship and in daily life.
- Blessed assurance, Jesus is mine!
O what a foretaste of glory divine!
Heir of salvation, purchase of God,
born of his Spirit, washed in his blood.
This is my story, this is my song,
praising my Savior all the day long;
this is my story, this is my song,
praising my Savior all the day long.
- Perfect submission, perfect delight,
visions of rapture now burst on my sight;
angels descending bring from above
echoes of mercy, whispers of love.
- Perfect submission, all is at rest;
I in my Savior am happy and blest,
watching and waiting, looking above,
filled with his goodness, lost in his love.
- Hymnals:African American Heritage Hymnal #508
- Hymnals:Baptist Hymnal 1991 #334
- Hymnals:Baptist Hymnal 2008 #446
- Hymnals:Celebration Hymnal #572
- Hymnals:Evangelical Lutheran Worship #638
- Hymnals:Hymns of Faith #197
- Hymnals:Presbyterian Hymnal #341
- Hymnals:Psalter Hymnal (Gray) #490
- Hymnals:Revival Hymns and Choruses #318
- Hymnals:Rejoice in the Lord #453
- Hymnals:Sing Joyfully #295
- Hymnals:Trinity Hymnal #693
- Hymnals:The Worshiping Church #514
- Hymnals:The United Methodist Hymnal #369
- Hymnals:Worship & Rejoice #426
- Hymnals:With One Voice #699